Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Weight Loss – Don’t Be Lazy!

The parking garage that I was going to park in was under construction so we had to take a detour to another parking garage which made a whole lot of people late including myself. I was carrying my clothing, bathroom supplies, laptop (for work), and my gym bag. I had to admit that I was enjoying the exercise but I almost busted a gut when I saw all of the people that I was walking with take the escalator instead of the stairs. Granted the stairs was going directly to the third story but it was still funny. There was a long line waiting for the escalator and no one, I repeat, no one was taking the stairs. I avoided the escalator and walked up the stairs, two at a time, and beat everyone that was ahead of me by a great distance. We were all trying to hurry to make it to the closest train and I got on board just in time. While we were leaving I noticed the group that I was with to be still walking to the train. I just couldn’t help but laugh to see how lazy people have gotten these days. I understand if you have leg problems or a health issue but all of those people could not have had either one of those.

If you would do a little extra exercise to get something done i.e. walking instead of taking the horizontal escalator. This is correct that you will walk faster but this might be a kick in the ass to actually be punctual instead of procrastinating to the last second. I know I was that way in college and also in high school but that is also why I gained the weight that I did. In college I gained 50 lbs in one semester because I was a sloth and never would leave my dorm room for anything but to go to the bathroom and get more food. I would have about 10 hours of homework at night and also eat non-stop. I am not talking about grazing, “Weight Lose – How We Are Supposed to Eat.”, I am talking about continuous eating of popcorn, transfat, and other junk food. Not to also mention the food that was served at the cafeteria which I would not say is healthy by any means. The only healthy food that they had was the salad bar which also needs to be revamped.

One last point that I want to make about people these days being lazy. If people would do a little bit of manual labor or a little bit more walking than just standing or sitting. People would not be so heavy and also wouldn’t have a many problems with walking, running, and stair climbing. You shouldn’t be tired from walking through a terminal to get to your flight, if you are, then you need to do it more often so you are not so winded. To build up you cardio endurance, a person should try to get some form of exercise in every day. At work, I could get into my car and go to the different plants that I am needed but I choose to walk to them because even thought a get my exercise in everyday in the morning before work, I still want to get some more exercise in to keep it going.

No comments: