Friday, May 05, 2006

Weight Loss - How We Are Supposed To Eat

For the last 22 months of my daughts life, I have been taking notes of how she eats and what she eats. We have always taught her that fruits and vegetables are good foods and for the most part kept candy and a lot of sugar out ofher life. Because of what we have done, she prefers fruit over anything else that we offer her. We have actually tried to give her chocolate over strawberries and sure enough, she wants the strawberries. That was a quick summary of what she eats, now to how she eats. When she is hungry at any time of the day, she lets us know and we give her a nice healthy treat. The treat is realatively small and just enough to fill her up. Then I thought, this is a grazing method of weight control. You only eat when you are hungry and not on a specific time schedule. Then I started to think about why we eat on a regular schedule and that we only eat three meals a day. The only thing that I can think about is we were told to from the beginning.

As Neanderthals, they would eat when they were hungry and when they were hungry, they went out and hunted. They would hunt for vegetation and also for live animals, but they would only do it when they were hungry and not because it was 11:00am or 5:30 pm. With the grazing method, the person eats just enough to take off the edge of being hungry. This would keep your body from going into starvation mode and store the next thing that comes down the hatch. Think of your hunger as a small paper bag. For breakfast, lunch and dinner we tend to fill that paper bag with a lot of food that sometimes makes it over flow. Well your body, unless you are training for a marathon, only needs that bag to be filled up either a quarter or half full. If all of the food given was not used, then the food gets stored and also thrown away. So this means a lot of waste will be coming out and weight gain will start to happen. When I was eating like this, I had very little waste at any given point in time and I was never really hungry. I felt very energetic and with a little bit of food I was satisfied. I was also weight lifting and trying to build muscle so my diet consisted of whey protein and chicken. It was also filled with vegetables to help keep the cravings down and also a very usefull snack.

So that is my thoughts on how we should eat, grazing.

No comments: