Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Weight Training – What The Hell Is All Of The Jerking About?

I was lifting in the gym the other day and I was watching this gentlemen lift weights. The person was very skinny as if he was just starting to weight train. I compliment any person who is that skinny to come into a gym where most of the people don’t have necks and sit along side them to train. I do have a problem when the person that is starting out does not do any research to find out what proper techniques are to use on each body part. When I started I learned from my father and I mostly learned from books and some videos. That is the only way to do it unless you like to look like an idiot and be criticized. This person was doing a barbell curl with 20 lbs on each side. At first I was impressed with the weight that he was going to do for his size until I saw his form. To me, form is everything in order to get consistent data and have consistent increases. The form that he was using was to bend over and make his body horizontal to the ground and then jerk his upper body back so he can swing the weight up to his chest. I have always thought to increase your strength, you have to actually use your muscles to lift the weight. I predict that this person will never see any increases and if he does it will take him forever.

No comments: